Online or In-Office Counselling?
Online sessions are an effective and safe way to do therapy during covid, or if a person needs to be careful to protect their immune system. If you are unwell but able to still do a session, online sessions mean you don't have to cancel.
It is common to feel online sessions won't be as good as meeting in the same physical space, however, most people find the virtual connection is a closer facsimile to the in-office experience than they expected.
For either in-office or online counselling, please contact me for an appointment. I am sometimes booked up and unable to take new clients. However that situation can change quickly.
For tips on getting through the stresses of this pandemic, please go to Living with Covid on the blog page.
To prepare for an online session, please ensure you have uninterrupted privacy and quiet for the duration of your session.
Counselling meetings online are private and secure. Once we are on each other's screen, I can "lock" the session, meaning no other person has access. Please contact me if you have any concerns about online security or confidentiality.
Use the contact form to tell me what you need. And stay well!
Deciding to work in-office
I can see clients in-office, providing they meet my criteria. I follow provincial and WorkSafe guidelines and may actually be more conservative than the current guidelines. To see my criteria for in-office sessions, please, see below.
If you have decided not to get vaccinated but would like to see me in person, please get directly in touch with me through my contact form, and we can discuss this.
Although vaccinations are a good safeguard against severe illness or death from covid, people can still contract covid and communicate it to others.
In order to keep everyone safe, these are the agreements I ask each in-office client to keep:
I ask that you meet the following criteria for in-office sessions:
- Please be double vaccinated more than two weeks past for an in-office session.
- Please ask for a zoom session if you have had contact in the last ten days with people from an area where covid numbers are high. If you are unsure how to decide, please contact me.
- Do not attend a session if you have a fever.
- Do not attend a session in-office if you have symptoms of coronavirus. If in doubt please consult https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en. This is the BC self-assessment tool.
- In case of two or more of the following symptoms—sore throat, cough, runny nose/sneezing, nasal congestion, difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing, decrease or loss of sense of smell or taste, chills, unexplained fatigue/malaise, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting—you agree to cancel your appointment or rebook for an online session.
- Please ask for an online session, or cancel, if you only have a couple of symptoms, for example, the “sniffles” and a cough.
- Please use the provided alcohol-based hand sanitizer, or your own, when you enter the office.
- Please bring a mask to wear and be prepared to put it on if asked to do so.
- We will keep a distance of 6 feet in the office.
- If you need to cough or sneeze, try to do so into a Kleenex (provided) or into your elbow.
- If you are exposed to anyone infected with COVID, please immediately notify me.
- Please review these agreements prior to each appointment.
Office Safety Precautions
I continue to take the following steps to reduce the risk of covid to clients, myself and others:
- Appointments are scheduled at intervals to allow for ventilation and sanitizing procedures between sessions.
- Seating in the therapy office will be at 2 metres distance.
- Hand sanitizer that contains at least 70% alcohol is available in the therapy room.
- We will not pass any items between us—payment is by Interac or online transfer.
- We will wear masks if needed.
My personal practice is to always wear a mask when in an indoor public space, and I only socialize outside with other people. My partner follows the same protocols.
Please be in touch to discuss any concerns you have about online or in-office counselling.